» Download the webinar PPT:
1. Event Details:
Event type: Webinar
Date: Wednesday 22 January
Time: 9:30 AM (CET) / 3:00 PM (MMT) / 3:30 PM (ICT)
2. Programme Synopsis:
IP Rights & Trademark Law in Myanmar – “What businesses need to know and understand?"
Myanmar is often described as one of the last frontiers in Asia with huge potentials for investments. Even during this pandemic period, Myanmar GDP is expected to grow at 2.0% for 2020-2021, whereas economies of other emerging countries are shrinking. However, growth can only be sustainable with responsible and best standards and practices.
Intellectual Property Rights and Trademark Protection are some of the most important protection mechanisms for investors and businesses as well as to gain confidence of consumers for responsible businesses. With the Trademark Law enacted in January 2019 and Order No. 63/2020 from the Ministry of Commerce, Myanmar is moving from “First to Use System” to “First to File System” for trademark registration.
European Chamber of Commerce in Myanmar (EuroCham Myanmar), together with South-East Asia IP SME Helpdesk, is organizing a webinar discussion where the international expert and the official from the IP Department under the Ministry of Commerce are going to discuss the latest IP and trademark developments in Myanmar, benefits of recent changes and how businesses can follow the new procedures.
3. Programme Content:
Speaker 1: Dr. Moe Moe Thwe – Deputy Director General, IP Department, Ministry of Commerce.
- Recent developments in IPR and Trademark registration.
Speaker 2: Mr. Daniel Greif – External Expert, SEA IP SME Helpdesk; and Director Southeast Asia & Senior Trademark Attorney, Schmitt & Orlov Intellectual Property.
- Discuss securing rights under the New Trademark Law (“New Law”) and the benefits the New law provides for enforcement and litigation.
- Compare & Contrast how trademark rights were secured under the former system and how they are now secured under the New Law, as it is brand new and the soft opening under this New Law has just started as well as there are not yet any finalized case studies of the New Law.
- Discuss how companies secured their marks under the old system and how they are doing so under the New Law. (E.g., Recording a Declaration of Ownership and publishing newspaper notices under the former system and applying for a trademark at the Trademark Office under the New Law).
- Discuss how the New Law will assist trademark enforcement and litigation by creating greater certainty for trademark rights allowing the courts and enforcement authorities to better implement trademark rights.
3:00 – 3:05 PM (MMT)Introductory Remark by Ms. Karina Ufert, Chief Executive Officer of EuroCham Myanmar.
3:05 – 3:25 PM (MMT)Recent developments in IPR and Trademark registration by Dr. Moe Moe Thwe - Deputy Director General, IP Department, Ministry of Commerce.
3:25 PM- 3:45 PM (MMT)Benefits of new trademark system in Myanmar and comparison between old and new practices by Mr. Daniel Grief, External Expert, SEA IP SME Helpdesk; and Director Southeast Asia & Senior Trademark Attorney at Schmitt & Orlov Intellectual Property.
3:45 PM- 4:00 PM (MMT)Q&A with audience.
4:00 PM (MMT)Closing Remark by Ms. Karina Ufert, Chief Executive Officer of EuroCham Myanmar.